Green Lentil Soup
This soup is a nice change from the regular kidney bean or red lentil soup. Packed with protein from the lentils, fiber from the vegetables and lentils- this recipe makes a great main meal or as a starter to the meal.
- 1 cup green lentils (washed and soaked overnight)
- 1/2 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium sized tomatoes (chopped finely)
- 1/2 cup carrots (peeled and cubed)
- 1 organic spinach (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup broccoli (small florets)- optional
- 1 tbsp. grape seed oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary leaves
- 3-4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot sauté the onions in the oil till softened.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them till soft.
- Add minced garlic, carrots, celery and salt and pepper. Soften them slightly.
- Add the soaked green lentils, rosemary leaves and broth.
- Bring to boil on high heat, and then simmer for 35-45 mins till the lentils are cooked.
- Add the spinach in the last 4-5 mins.
You can put this in a slow cooker and have it premade for when you come back from a busy day at work.
I always cook a double batch and freeze half the portion for a busy night.
Serve warm for lunch or dinner with a small blob of butter, either as a starter or as a main dish with some crackers or wild rice.
This should make a hearty meal for 2 people.
You can add kale or Swiss chard instead of the spinach or even shredded pieces of chicken.